The Reames chicken and noodles recipe is adapted directly from the original recipe of Ethel Reames’ family kitchen. It is hard to beat a serving of hearty, homemade noodle when you are sick or during cold winter days.
As you are most likely to know already, making fresh noodles from scratch is not exactly the easiest thing. Luckily, you absolutely don’t have to as the Reames Homestyle Egg Noodle, which is used as one of the ingredients in the the Reames chicken and noodles recipe below, is able to hit all the right notes of a true homemade egg noodles.
So, without further ado, here is the Reames creamy chicken and noodles recipe that you can follow to make a tasty and substantial meal at any time of the day.
- 1 pkg. (24 oz.) Reames Homestyle Egg Noodle
- 11 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. boneless and skinless chicken, precooked
- 2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup sherry (optional)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tsps. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 8 tbsps. butter
- 2 bay leaves
- Boil the chicken broth along with the bay leaves
- Put the noodles in the broth and allow simmering while stirring for about 20 minutes.
- Add chopped thyme, parsley, onions, carrots, celery, and black pepper, then let simmer until done or for about 10 minutes.
- Heat butter in a skillet then put in flour and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Pour cream into the noodle and broth mixture and simmer well.
- Mix the flour mixture into the noodle and broth, then stir and cook for a couple of minutes or until it is thickened.
- Put the chicken and sherry in, remove bay leaves. Stir well then serve.
The recipe above is a great source of various nutrients. The celery, carrot, and onion bits contain vitamin A, C, K, minerals, and antioxidants. It also provides carbohydrates from noodles that help to feel satisfied and full. Last but not least, chicken is rich tryptophan as well that helps body producing serotonin, a hormone that increase positive mood and provides ‘comfort’ feeling and makes this dish a genuine comfort food.
What keeps a recipe of chicken noodle soup interesting is that it allows you to add more amounts of ingredients of your liking. For example, if you want to make a heartier soup, you may add extra chicken or beans. Another idea to elevate the Reames chicken and noodles recipe is by adding side dishes like cheese and apples.