Portillo’s Lemon Cake Recipe: A Must-Try for All Dessert Lovers
ooking for a near perfect Portillo’s Lemon Cake recipe? Lemon cake is a popular menu of Chicago-based Portillo’s that’s known for their indulging desserts such as chocolate cake shake and chocolate cake. Unfortunately, lemon cake is eliminated from their menu after existed for about a decade. As it was phased out of the stores long before social media become common, it’s quite difficult to find an online recipe of this dish. Don’t worry though, because you can recreate Portillo’s Lemon Cake recipe at home by following the steps below. It offers multiple layers of rich and smooth lemon cake that makes a perfect dessert in spring, not to mention the velvety and citrusy frosting. Just a lick to taste the frosting that sandwiched between every layers and covered the outer of the cake, anyone will be able to understand why it is such a popular cake. Moreover, the mixture of whipping cream, cream cheese, grated lemon peel, and powdered sugar makes the spread that has silky texture. Without further ado, check out the fan-favorite Portillo’s Lemon Cake recipe below.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist Lemon Cake Mix
- Eggs, vegetable oil, and water as required on the box of the cake mix
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tbs. grated lemon peel
- 1 tbs. milk
- Lemon twist optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease two round cake pans (8- or 9- inch diameter) at bottom only.
- Make the cake as instructed by the Betty Crocker Super Moist Lemon Cake Mix. For more manageable handling, refrigerate layers for about 45 minutes.
- Beat milk, cream cheese, and grated lemon peel until smooth in a large bowl using electric mixer set on low speed. Add powdered sugar and whipping cream, and set the mixer on high speed. Scrape the bowl every once in a while, and stop when it forms stiff peaks.
- Cut every layer of cake to half horizontally to create four layers in total. For neater cuts, use toothpicks to create mark on the cake’s side and use long and thin knife.
- Coat every layer with half a cup of whipping cream mixture. Frost the top and side parts of the cake with the rest of the mixture.
- Use lemon twist to garnish the cake.
- Store the cake with a protective cover inside refrigerator.
The cake has light texture and vibrant visual that will be loved by everyone. However, the best part of this Portillo’s Lemon Cake recipe is how simple it is to create with just several steps so you can make it again whenever you want.