Applebee’s French onion soup is one of the best dishes in the restaurant. Everyone comes to the place only to order the soup and it has been like that for years. The soup is very delicious with its delicate texture and sweet-savory flavor combination. You can make your own version of the soup and it will taste as good. How to do that? Simply follow this recipe below.
- 2 1/2 lbs white onions, peeled
- 8 cups beef stock (change to vegetable stock if you plan to make Applebee’s French onion soup vegetarian)
- 5 burger buns
- 10 slices Provolone cheese
- 10 teaspoons parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Start making the Applebee’s French onion soup by preheating the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the onions in half (lengthwise) and then slice them all up thinly. Set them aside.
- Prepare a large soup pot with heavy bottom. Heat it up over medium-low heat stove. Add olive oil and add in the thinly sliced onions. Cook until the onion is caramelized. It is probably going to take 12-16 minutes. Do not stir the onions too frequently.
- Once the onion is caramelized, add in the minced garlic and stir the mixture.
- Then, pour beef stock and water. Stir them up and bring them to boil by raising the stove temperature to high.
- When the mixture is boiling, lower the heat again and give it a taste. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Then, put the lid on the pot and let the mixture simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the hamburger buns lengthwise. You should end up with 10 slices of bread now. Drizzle them with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper before baking them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When the soup is done simmering and the buns are baked, you are ready to assemble the soup. To assemble the soup, prepare individual soup bowls. Then, ladle the soup to each bowls. Then, top the soup with the baked bun followed by provolone cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Broil the soup in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is good to make for dinner or just for any meal of the day. It is comforting and basically very good to eat. This is why everyone should try making Applebee’s French onion soup at home.